Need a good beach book this summer? Watch me read chapter 1 of my book where I relive the nightmare of opening for Joan Rivers
Joan -- and her team -- were as nice as pie to me. Their audience . . . a whole other ball game.
I found out afterwards that this particular venue in Florida pulled this on opening acts all the time: sold out the night as, "An Evening With . . . insert famous aging performer's name here" and THEN added an opening act, since the headliner's set was 75 minutes and they got too many complaints that that wasn't truly "an evening with."
So it was my turn to suffer to slings and arrows of an audience who bought tickets expecting Joan Rivers for the entire evening, and with NO addendum added to the program, shoved an opener out who was told to perform, "30 minutes -- not a minute more . . . not a minute less" by Joan and her people, who were not happy that she'd be facing a sold out crowd who expected more time than she was contracted for. My debacle was compounded by the bright stage lights hitting my guitar at all the wrong angles and my slip of the tongue response.
It was my worst night ever onstage. My longtime love told me to never breathe a word of it to a soul, but did I listen? No. I opened my book with it. I bought up all the unsold copies, so you can watch me read Chapter 1 to see if you want to read the other 27 chapters. Just click on "Store" on my home page, and I'll send you an autographed copy that your great great great grandchildren can bring to The Antiques Road Show in a hundred years.
"Christine Lavin reads Chapter 1 of her mem-wha, "Cold Pizza For Breakfast" on May 21, 2021 for The Ark.
And when things open up and you buy a ticket for "An Evening With," double-check that's what you are getting.
- Need a good beach book this summer? Watch me read chapter 1 of my book where I relive the nightmare of opening for Joan Rivers
- A private concert for The Ark in Ann Arbor, with After Party featuring a living legend and a future living legend
- Join Tom Prasada-Rao, Alice Howe, Cliff Eberhardt, Crys Matthews, The Queler/Farber Band, Rebecca Loebe, Rod MacDonald & More w/Ron Olesko and me tag-teaming MCs
- "That Elusive Blue" when it's not quite day, not quite night - from the album COLD PIZZA FOR BREAKFAST
- I've written a movie in the form of a song, a play in the form of a song, here's a CARTOON in the form of a song . . .
- It's quite the lineup, beginning with Daniel Cainer, then Declan O'Rourke, then Steve Tilston, all 3 live from England & Ireland, ending later with Robin & Linda Williams
- I'm between the musical saw and the Savitsky Cats -- Susan's musical answer to the question who can pick up where Ed Sullivan left off?
- For the first time: COLD PIZZA FOR BREAKFAST memoir & CL Songbook available plus 8 CD titles - buy 2, get your choice of 3rd CD for free!
- I wrote a song about him on my last album, "First Dance/Last Dance"
- "Trade Up"
- Two surprise guests from Rochester, NY, one from Key West Florida at 7:30 show -- then After Party til 9:30
- Saturday night at 7:30 PM Eastern solo concert for Golden Link of Rochester; 8:45 After Party with my friends Kat Goldman & David Ippolito