See Tom Paxton, Loudon Wainwright, Holly Near, Joe Jencks, Rory Block, Don Armstrong, Ellis Paul, and others celebrate the Caffe Lena's 60th anniversary
In the first 24 hours more than 3,500 people have watched it -- I had no idea how wonderful this was going to be -- but it IS! As good as anything you'll see on PBS -- and the closer, Joe Jencks, practically gives a master class in how you pay tribute to such a venerable venue. The amazing thing is that the show was pulled together in one week. ONE week. Kudos to Sarah Craig & Company.
"Happy 60th Anniversary Caffe Lena from John Winn, Tom Paxton, Holly Near, Joe Jencks, Rory Block, Don Armstrong, Steve Gillette & Cindy Mangsen, Ellis Paul, Pete & Maura Kennedy, Bill Staines, new discovery Sawyer Fredericks and me"
1 hour 51 minutes - but only available a limited time so don't wait too long to watch it
The closing performer, Joe Jencks, is going to be live tomorrow night, Saturday, at 9 Eastern time, via Winnipeg. I'm SURE if you watch him close the Caffe Lena show, you'll want to see him do a whole FREE concert. He's THAT good. Here's the link for that:
Joe Jencks Live and Free via Winnipeg:
If you know Joe, you know what I'm talking about. if you don't, here's your chance -- 9 Eastern, 6 Pacific, though I'm pretty sure it's 2 AM London time, but I know a few night owls in London who will be happy.
- For decades Phil's sister Sonny Ochs has hosted these shows across the country -- tonight it's all LIVE and FREE on your screen
- We didn't know what songs we'd hear, and looking back on this, it's wonderful -- I list who plays when so you can skip to your favorites
- My live Hurdy Gurdy concert has been moved from indoors to online -- I'm joined by a dozen singer/songwriters each doing 2 songs -- from 7 PM to 10 PM Eastern
- It begins with a funny song for our times, "Stress" by Jim Infantino, ends with Kate Taylor's lovely, "I've Got A Message"
- A strong lineup for top to bottom -- the incomparable Jim Infantino opens, Kate closes, and an embarrassment of riches in between
- Columnist Jennifer Finney Boylan was inspired by the song to write about her best summer -- what was yours?
- The PFF asked me to help MC, and to do a 15-20 min minute set, which is the exact length of this one song, which is based on something that really happened
- Starting with Brooks Williams in Cambridge, UK --- closing with B&B in the US -- next month Bob Lind is headliner (yes, The Elusive Butterfly Of Love guy)
- Wonderful food (dining room opens at 5:30) -- spectacular desserts -- LIVE entertainment -- Tickets $25 in advance, $30 at the door.
- Believe it or not, when I wrote this song inspired by the 2009 Scripps Spelling Bee, I SPELT TWO WORDS WRONG! Finally I've made up for it.
- Jimmy Webb wrote the perfect song for the launch back in 1978, and here Michael Feinstein sings it.
- Have a favorite in the show? Here's when each performs so you can zip right to them --