Believe it or not, when I wrote this song inspired by the 2009 Scripps Spelling Bee, I SPELT TWO WORDS WRONG! Finally I've made up for it.
If you have my 2009 album, COLD PIZZA FOR BREAKFAST, you have this song, which is track 6: "Too Old For The Spelling Bee."
I never promoted the song because AFTER it was pressed is when we realized I spelt the first word WRONG. The correct spelling is G R E N A C H E, but I spelt it G R A N A C H E. My bad. All the words in the song were part of the 2009 national spelling bee.
I was hoping it would be a song teachers could use to inspire their students to enter spelling bees, but how could that happen when I spelled the first word wrong??? BTW, a second song was also spelt wrong -- CLOGWYN -- but we caught that and the producer found a creative way to fix it on the fly on the original recording.
All these years later I am able to correct that first mis-spelling in this video, so I finally feel comfortable sharing this song.
I guess you can call this lemonade. For 12 years I lived with the shame of spelling a word wrong in a song about a spelling bee. But I am so inspired by this year's winner -- Zaila Avant-garde -- that I overcame my spelling shame to put this song out there, warts and all.
"Too Old For The Spelling Bee" by Christine Lavin
p.s. I hope I adumbrated this situation successfully.
(a-DUM-brate: describe roughly or give the main points or summary of)--
- For decades Phil's sister Sonny Ochs has hosted these shows across the country -- tonight it's all LIVE and FREE on your screen
- We didn't know what songs we'd hear, and looking back on this, it's wonderful -- I list who plays when so you can skip to your favorites
- My live Hurdy Gurdy concert has been moved from indoors to online -- I'm joined by a dozen singer/songwriters each doing 2 songs -- from 7 PM to 10 PM Eastern
- It begins with a funny song for our times, "Stress" by Jim Infantino, ends with Kate Taylor's lovely, "I've Got A Message"
- A strong lineup for top to bottom -- the incomparable Jim Infantino opens, Kate closes, and an embarrassment of riches in between
- Columnist Jennifer Finney Boylan was inspired by the song to write about her best summer -- what was yours?
- The PFF asked me to help MC, and to do a 15-20 min minute set, which is the exact length of this one song, which is based on something that really happened
- Starting with Brooks Williams in Cambridge, UK --- closing with B&B in the US -- next month Bob Lind is headliner (yes, The Elusive Butterfly Of Love guy)
- Wonderful food (dining room opens at 5:30) -- spectacular desserts -- LIVE entertainment -- Tickets $25 in advance, $30 at the door.
- Believe it or not, when I wrote this song inspired by the 2009 Scripps Spelling Bee, I SPELT TWO WORDS WRONG! Finally I've made up for it.
- Jimmy Webb wrote the perfect song for the launch back in 1978, and here Michael Feinstein sings it.
- Have a favorite in the show? Here's when each performs so you can zip right to them --