Believe it or not, when I wrote this song inspired by the 2009 Scripps Spelling Bee, I SPELT TWO WORDS WRONG! Finally I've made up for it.
If you have my 2009 album, COLD PIZZA FOR BREAKFAST, you have this song, which is track 6: "Too Old For The Spelling Bee."
I never promoted the song because AFTER it was pressed is when we realized I spelt the first word WRONG. The correct spelling is G R E N A C H E, but I spelt it G R A N A C H E. My bad. All the words in the song were part of the 2009 national spelling bee.
I was hoping it would be a song teachers could use to inspire their students to enter spelling bees, but how could that happen when I spelled the first word wrong??? BTW, a second song was also spelt wrong -- CLOGWYN -- but we caught that and the producer found a creative way to fix it on the fly on the original recording.
All these years later I am able to correct that first mis-spelling in this video, so I finally feel comfortable sharing this song.
I guess you can call this lemonade. For 12 years I lived with the shame of spelling a word wrong in a song about a spelling bee. But I am so inspired by this year's winner -- Zaila Avant-garde -- that I overcame my spelling shame to put this song out there, warts and all.
"Too Old For The Spelling Bee" by Christine Lavin
p.s. I hope I adumbrated this situation successfully.
(a-DUM-brate: describe roughly or give the main points or summary of)--
- The PFF asked me to help MC, and to do a 15-20 min minute set, which is the exact length of this one song, which is based on something that really happened
- Starting with Brooks Williams in Cambridge, UK --- closing with B&B in the US -- next month Bob Lind is headliner (yes, The Elusive Butterfly Of Love guy)
- Wonderful food (dining room opens at 5:30) -- spectacular desserts -- LIVE entertainment -- Tickets $25 in advance, $30 at the door.
- Believe it or not, when I wrote this song inspired by the 2009 Scripps Spelling Bee, I SPELT TWO WORDS WRONG! Finally I've made up for it.
- Jimmy Webb wrote the perfect song for the launch back in 1978, and here Michael Feinstein sings it.
- Have a favorite in the show? Here's when each performs so you can zip right to them --
- and ends 3 hours later with John McCutcheon live from the States -- watch it LIVE and FREE on FB and YouTube, or listen to audio on folkmusicnotebook.com
- The true story of my sister Mary's pet albino guinea pig "Piglet" and the day Joe Namath asked if he could pet him
- Sunday, June 13, 2021
- That's what I get for working in the middle of the night when I should have been sleeping! And there's a glitch at the 'store' that will be fixed by Monday
- Stories about radio host Bob Sherman, Pete Seeger, Dave Van Ronk, George Wurzbach, Livingston Taylor, Garry Novikoff, and Laura Weber
- Buy 2 or more CDs and get brand new FREE compilation with new songs and recordings by Sloan Wainwright, Amy Speace, Rob Siegel, me, and others