Joanne Woodward's dream was to turn this book into a film -- I hope this will get it a step closer
Joanne Woodward is now retired, so making this into a film is something she won't be doing -- but maybe another enterprising filmmaker will run with this idea.
Here's the final two chapters (officially Book 3, Chapter 3 and Book 3, Chapter 4) plus a final footnote about Joanne Woodward in case you know of a Merchant & Ivory type filmmaker looking for a great book to bring to the screen.
Many years ago I wrote a song about Joanne Woodward's obsession with this book and it contained this lyric:
"If you would like me to answer
all these burning questions
I'm sorry to disappoint
but that's something I cannot do
it would ruin Joanne's movie for you
should she ever make it
I envision an American equivalent of
"A Room With A View."
When I wrote that line I thought hey, I better go and re-look at that other film to see if that's an apt comparison. It had been years since I had seen it.
Well, blow me down, "A Room With A View" is set in the exact same year -- 1901 -- and the lead ingenue is named, "Lucy." But it's set in Florence, Italy and is a completely different story -- but what are the odds?
Here's the final two chapters -- Enjoy! Or be glad it's done and I won't be sending any more of these. It's been my way of dealing with the pandemic. But if you do get a hankerin' for a good read, you've got all the chapters now.
Next To Last Chapter Book 3, Chapter 3 of “Lucy Gayheart” 19:53
Final Chapter Book 3, Chapter 4 of “Lucy Gayheart”. 18:55. w/fond final farewell footnote
Stay safe, everybody. I know we're all stir-crazy, but don't do anything rash. Reading is a nice, safe hobby for now.
- "More Than Meets The Eye" by Sandy Cash -- The Times of Israel helps put her song/video on the map
- Here's "Lavin Live at Passim for one hour" -- in the first 24 hours it's been viewed more than 4,500 times -- who knew?
- Free concert and song swap tonight -- starting at 8 PM at passim.org -- then we're all moving over to Zoom at 9:15
- June 1, 2020 8:45 PM FDR Drive/under the Manhattan Bridge
- Highlights from the Forever Plaid 30th Plaidiversary Reunion Special (26 minutes & 40 seconds)
- See Tom Paxton, Loudon Wainwright, Holly Near, Joe Jencks, Rory Block, Don Armstrong, Ellis Paul, and others celebrate the Caffe Lena's 60th anniversary
- Also part of this tonight -- Don Armstrong, Rory Block, Steve Gillette & Cindy Mangsen and others
- The people on Mulberry Street in Rochester, NY thank all essential workers doing their jobs
- Joanne Woodward's dream was to turn this book into a film -- I hope this will get it a step closer
- After this, only 2 chapters left to read (will be posted on Sunday night)
- here's the real chapter 3 of "Lucy Gayheart" by Willa Cather -- sorry about that!
- 7-1/2 minutes to get us all on the same page so we're prepared for the ending of the book (which will be posted late Saturday and late Sunday)