The first is Shel Silverstein's "The Hills Of Shiloh" that Art Podell sang lead on, and created the arrangement; the second is "Molly," from Biff Rose's debut album, that Art co-produced
When I was subbing for John Platt on WFUV I played the New Christy Minstrels' arrangement of "The Hills Of Shiloh," written by Shel Silverstein. I immediately followed it with "Molly" by Biff Rose.
I sent the playlist to Art in LA, not knowing he co-produced Biff's debut album. What are the odds that all these years later (the NCM recording was from the 1960s, "Molly" from 1973) -- that I would play back-to-back two albums that Art had such a hand in? He said he doesn't think the group ever sang "Shiloh" live -- it was difficult enough to learn for the recording. And he said it was Van Dyke Parks who told him to hire Kirby Johnson, Van Dyke's string arranger, and a classical group (whose name escapes me) -- he takes no credit for "Molly," said as producer, he "just got out of the way and let them do what they do."
"The Hills of Shiloh" The New Christy Minstrels
"Molly" by Biff Rose, album co-produced by Art Podell
But that's one of the greatest talents a producer can have -- not having the kind of ego that "stamps" their sound on a recording, but doing exactly what the the song dictates it needs. So even though Art said he did nothing on "Molly," he allowed the songwriter AND the arranger to shine their best.
"Molly" is one of my all-time favorite recordings, and I bet for some of you, it will now be one of your favorites, too.
- Christine Lavin solo at 3 PM EST then After Party at 4:45 - 6:00 PM EST with Michael Lavine, Kyle Hancharick, Tina Ross, and Craig Werth
- Here's "Secret Gardens Of The Heart" by Judy Collins --
- Today at 5 PM Eastern, then archived for later viewing -- will be approx 1 hour
- Pioneer Valley Song Swap Tonight -- Christine Lavin is the featured performer at 8:15, but from 7-8:15 will be a variety of performers from all over the US
- The first is Shel Silverstein's "The Hills Of Shiloh" that Art Podell sang lead on, and created the arrangement; the second is "Molly," from Biff Rose's debut album, that Art co-produced
- Tonight at 7 PM Eastern -- join me along with Sonny Ochs, Ron Olesko, Daniel Cainer, Claudia & Dan Zanes, Scott Ainsley, Mike Agranoff, David Roth (filling in for Pierce Pettis), Greg Greenway, Rod MacDonald, Kate Taylor, and Art Podell. FREE.
- Dave Lefkowitz is one funny guy - I'll be on his FB page at 11, though behind the scenes starting at 10 -- lots of wonderful guests
- In time for Christmas/Kwanzaa/Boxing Day/New Year's/Solstice -- and late Chanukah gift --
- An embarrassment of riches in-between -- David Mallett ("Inch By Inch, Row By Row"), guitarist extraordinaire Mary Flower, jazzy comedian Vance Gilbert, musical storyteller Walter Parks, happy bluesman Robert Ross, brilliant raconteur . . .
- "Ballad Of The Sandman" written and perfumed by Mike Agranoff (spoken word) -- I made this video for him -- and for you
- We chat about my show w/Deirdre Flint on Monday 11/22, Suzanne Vega, my brother Christopher, Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue, the kind of love you never recover from . . . and more . . .
- Another embarrassment of riches -- this might be the best GVFF so far -- remastered