Sing and/or play along with Robin Batteau around 9 PM when he does his classic, "Guinevere" - let me know if you want the sheet music
On Sunday night somewhere around 9 PM or so, Robin Batteau plans to sing his classic "Guinevere" while playing guitar in an open D tuning. I wrote out a chart for how to play along in standard tuning -- Patty Larkin, Cheryl Wheeler, Cliff Eberhardt, John Gorka and I played and sang along with him at one of the last "On A Winter's Night" shows we did before the pandemic shut everything down. The whole audience sang along and we all followed the charts I wrote up and they seemed to work OK -- so this is the plan:
I will send you that chord chart, and below is a video of Robin singing this song with David Buskin and Marshal Rosenberg backing him up, and Patty Larkin and Jonatha Brooke adding their voices, too. I'm sending this to all of them -- hey, they already know their parts! Here's the chorus if you just want to sing on that part:
IN MY CASTLE IN NORMANDY
MAKE A NEW HOME WITH ME
COME FOLLOW ME DOWN
ALL MY HONOR AND GLORY
WILL JUST BE A STORY
OF THE FALL OF THE CROWN
"Guinevere" by Buskin & Batteau
Imagine how great it could be if Robin sings this solo on Sunday night, with many of you singing/playing from home. How do you do this? Wear headphones plugged into your laptop, so that you can hear him sing, while you run your iPhone videocamera focused on you (as close up as you are comfortable). Try to play/sing from the beginning, but know that it's OK if you play a clam, many of the parts repeat and you'll get it right the next time it comes around.
I did something like this a few weeks ago with "Sensitive New Age Guys" -- and I put together a fun video of people singing backup from home. I think this could be so much bigger than that -- so if you are near a computer on Sunday night between 7 PM - 10 PM Eastern (4 PM - 7 PM Pacific), we invite you to play along. My friend videographer/tech guru Neale Eckstein is going to help put all of this together. Our goal is to have a video with Robin in the center ringed by friends and fans singing and playing along. Yes, it's ambitious, but let's make this happen.
The Greenwich Village Folk Festival happens the first Sunday of each month. This month's closer is Peter Yarrow. Last month it was Suzanne Vega. The shows are free, but donations are happily accepted. it is streamed live on youtube, Facebook, and the new Greenwich Village Folk Festival website. Ron Olesko of Folkmusicnotebook.com and I tag-team the MCin'g.
This Robin Batteau experiment is the first time we are trying something like this. I hope you can be part of this experiment. Drop me a note if you'd like the sheet music and I'll send it right out to you.
When the concert is over the video is immediately posted on Facebook -- you could even re-do your part if you aren't happy with it. But don't worry -- in a project like this you don't need to have it all perfect -- there will be many people 'dropping in and out' on this video -- perfection isn't what we're looking for, connection is. And if you have any little kids watching -- try to include them if you can.
It's a terrific lineup -- the concert is free -- tips are gladly accepted and split among the musicians equally -- a grand time will be had by all --
The September Greenwich Village Folk Festival Sunday September 6th
7-10 PM Eastern
- Alice Howe is a spectacular singer, Freebo a brilliant bassist - I'm their guest on Wednesday at 8 PM Eastern - plus an "After Party" with a surprise guest
- The best new song of 2021 has already been written, "Because We Need You Now" by Cliff Eberhardt & Tom Prasada-Rao
- One last video -- thank you all who sent photos for it -- Happy New Year --
- Thank you all who came to our concert -- one final video -- thanks to all who sent photos for it - "Sealed With A Kiss"
- Let's ring in the new year together -- 7 PM Eastern - 9:45 PM Eastern
- Looking for still photos or short (less than 10 sec) clips of you with a photo of someone you've missed this past year
- The average chapter is 10-1/2 minutes; you can watch/read along, or just listen in the dark
- Christmas is so close - I'm going to the P.O. at 3:30 today - CDs are a lovely gift and help keep me afloat - FREE CD with any purchase
- Sunday Night: McCutcheon/McDonough/Paul/DonJuans/Lavin/Williams/Queler/Crockett/Buskin/Nininger
- Sunday, December 6, 2020
- 10 Artists 15 minutes each
- "Just One Angel" free with any purchase of of 2 or more CDs at my website