Let me know if you want to hear something I haven't done in a long time -- the show is 8 PM Eastern, under the umbrella of the Swallow Hill Music School of Denver
My beloved Aunt Patsy (Pat Crawford Brown) used to joke that all her film and TV roles supported her "theater habit." One day she and her acting friends came up with a game called, "Who was in the movie with the world's worst title?" Aunt Patsy won because she was in "Piranha Women Of The Avocado Jungle Of Death." Apparently that title was so bad it was changed to "Cannibal Women Of The Avocado Jungle Of Death," though I wrote this song before that change occurred. And I never have actually seen the whole movie -- just Aunt Patsy's scene.
She plays the supply clerk, so before they can venture into the Avocado Jungle of Death they need to equip themselves, and she dispatches her scene with great alacrity. And it's a crucial scene. If she hadn't given them the tools they needed, the movie would have been over, no trip to the jungle. After a while, Aunt Patsy began to specialize in such small but crucial scenes because she always brought some extra "oomph" to these parts.
On "Murder She Wrote," she plays the drug store cashier who talks up and then sells Jessica Fletcher the "Celtic Sunrise" perfume that is a crucial clue as to who committed the murder. On that one she got to use her Irish brogue to great effect.
In "Romy & Michele's High School Reunion," she plays the world weary diner waitress who asks Romy and Michele what kind of business they are in (they are pestering her for a "business women's lunch," which Aunt Patsy tells them doesn't exist). But they keep pestering, til she finally asks what their line of business is -- they are on their way to their high school reunion and want to impress all the students who dissed them years ago, so they decided to dress up "like business women."
So when Aunt Patsy asks them that crucial question, they realize they hadn't thought that far. They are two lovable pinheads.
On the spot they decide they invented post-it notes, and there's even a dream sequence where one of them recites the formula for the real post-it note glue. So Aunt Patsy's question kickstarted the film in a whole different direction. "Romy & Michele's High School Reunion" is like "Dumb & Dumber" for girls.
“Piranha Women Of The Avocado Jungle Of Death”
Please wear a mask!
- Wonderful food (dining room opens at 5:30) -- spectacular desserts -- LIVE entertainment -- Tickets $25 in advance, $30 at the door.
- Believe it or not, when I wrote this song inspired by the 2009 Scripps Spelling Bee, I SPELT TWO WORDS WRONG! Finally I've made up for it.
- Jimmy Webb wrote the perfect song for the launch back in 1978, and here Michael Feinstein sings it.
- Have a favorite in the show? Here's when each performs so you can zip right to them --
- and ends 3 hours later with John McCutcheon live from the States -- watch it LIVE and FREE on FB and YouTube, or listen to audio on folkmusicnotebook.com
- The true story of my sister Mary's pet albino guinea pig "Piglet" and the day Joe Namath asked if he could pet him
- Sunday, June 13, 2021
- That's what I get for working in the middle of the night when I should have been sleeping! And there's a glitch at the 'store' that will be fixed by Monday
- Stories about radio host Bob Sherman, Pete Seeger, Dave Van Ronk, George Wurzbach, Livingston Taylor, Garry Novikoff, and Laura Weber
- Buy 2 or more CDs and get brand new FREE compilation with new songs and recordings by Sloan Wainwright, Amy Speace, Rob Siegel, me, and others
- I'm not MC-ing this time, I'm in the show -- MCs are Ron Olesko and Sonny Ochs
- New song/video: "The Best Summer" by Christine Lavin