Will have a special 6 song tribute to Dave Van Ronk for a very special reason
19 years ago today, at 3 PM on Super Bowl Sunday a bunch of folksingers got together to raise money at The Towne Crier for Dave Van Ronk who was ailing. Pete Seeger was there, so was Oscar Brand, Garth Hudson, Steve Katz, Jay Unger & Molly Mason and some others. It was a sold out event and we raised more than $4 grand for Dave. Tragically he died a week later, but he died "standing pat" as they say, also thanks to Allan Pepper who hosted a benefit a couple months earlier that raised 5 figures for Dave (thanks to the kindness and generosity of Peter Paul & Mary, Tom Paxton, and Arlo Guthrie).
So today's GVFF will not only have the customary 15 minute sets from today's lineup (the closer is Eric Bibb) -- but there will be six of Dave's friends each doing one song of Dave's throughout the show. Geoff Bartley had to cancel, but the terrific Chris Lowe is taking his place. Chris Lowe of "Porcupine Puffer Fish" fame.
You can get all the info at https://www.greenwichvillagefolkfestival.org or just watch the show on YouTube --
'Sunday Feb 7th Pre-Super Bowl Greenwich Village Folk Festival'
You can also listen live (just audio) at folkmusicnotebook.com
Here's a fun article by David Hinckley if you're on the fence -- remember, it's free, 3 PM Eastern - 6 PM Easter. Donations are gladly accepted but NOT required.
However you spend it, hope you have a lovely Sunday.
- We didn't know what songs we'd hear, and looking back on this, it's wonderful -- I list who plays when so you can skip to your favorites
- My live Hurdy Gurdy concert has been moved from indoors to online -- I'm joined by a dozen singer/songwriters each doing 2 songs -- from 7 PM to 10 PM Eastern
- It begins with a funny song for our times, "Stress" by Jim Infantino, ends with Kate Taylor's lovely, "I've Got A Message"
- A strong lineup for top to bottom -- the incomparable Jim Infantino opens, Kate closes, and an embarrassment of riches in between
- Columnist Jennifer Finney Boylan was inspired by the song to write about her best summer -- what was yours?
- The PFF asked me to help MC, and to do a 15-20 min minute set, which is the exact length of this one song, which is based on something that really happened
- Starting with Brooks Williams in Cambridge, UK --- closing with B&B in the US -- next month Bob Lind is headliner (yes, The Elusive Butterfly Of Love guy)
- Wonderful food (dining room opens at 5:30) -- spectacular desserts -- LIVE entertainment -- Tickets $25 in advance, $30 at the door.
- Believe it or not, when I wrote this song inspired by the 2009 Scripps Spelling Bee, I SPELT TWO WORDS WRONG! Finally I've made up for it.
- Jimmy Webb wrote the perfect song for the launch back in 1978, and here Michael Feinstein sings it.
- Have a favorite in the show? Here's when each performs so you can zip right to them --
- and ends 3 hours later with John McCutcheon live from the States -- watch it LIVE and FREE on FB and YouTube, or listen to audio on folkmusicnotebook.com