Will have a special 6 song tribute to Dave Van Ronk for a very special reason
19 years ago today, at 3 PM on Super Bowl Sunday a bunch of folksingers got together to raise money at The Towne Crier for Dave Van Ronk who was ailing. Pete Seeger was there, so was Oscar Brand, Garth Hudson, Steve Katz, Jay Unger & Molly Mason and some others. It was a sold out event and we raised more than $4 grand for Dave. Tragically he died a week later, but he died "standing pat" as they say, also thanks to Allan Pepper who hosted a benefit a couple months earlier that raised 5 figures for Dave (thanks to the kindness and generosity of Peter Paul & Mary, Tom Paxton, and Arlo Guthrie).
So today's GVFF will not only have the customary 15 minute sets from today's lineup (the closer is Eric Bibb) -- but there will be six of Dave's friends each doing one song of Dave's throughout the show. Geoff Bartley had to cancel, but the terrific Chris Lowe is taking his place. Chris Lowe of "Porcupine Puffer Fish" fame.
You can get all the info at https://www.greenwichvillagefolkfestival.org or just watch the show on YouTube --
'Sunday Feb 7th Pre-Super Bowl Greenwich Village Folk Festival'
You can also listen live (just audio) at folkmusicnotebook.com
Here's a fun article by David Hinckley if you're on the fence -- remember, it's free, 3 PM Eastern - 6 PM Easter. Donations are gladly accepted but NOT required.
However you spend it, hope you have a lovely Sunday.
- Sunday, June 13, 2021
- That's what I get for working in the middle of the night when I should have been sleeping! And there's a glitch at the 'store' that will be fixed by Monday
- Stories about radio host Bob Sherman, Pete Seeger, Dave Van Ronk, George Wurzbach, Livingston Taylor, Garry Novikoff, and Laura Weber
- Buy 2 or more CDs and get brand new FREE compilation with new songs and recordings by Sloan Wainwright, Amy Speace, Rob Siegel, me, and others
- I'm not MC-ing this time, I'm in the show -- MCs are Ron Olesko and Sonny Ochs
- New song/video: "The Best Summer" by Christine Lavin
- Includes the debut of "The Best Summer" song/video that I hope will inspire you to have your best summer
- Need a good beach book this summer? Watch me read chapter 1 of my book where I relive the nightmare of opening for Joan Rivers
- A private concert for The Ark in Ann Arbor, with After Party featuring a living legend and a future living legend
- Join Tom Prasada-Rao, Alice Howe, Cliff Eberhardt, Crys Matthews, The Queler/Farber Band, Rebecca Loebe, Rod MacDonald & More w/Ron Olesko and me tag-teaming MCs
- "That Elusive Blue" when it's not quite day, not quite night - from the album COLD PIZZA FOR BREAKFAST
- I've written a movie in the form of a song, a play in the form of a song, here's a CARTOON in the form of a song . . .