Pop-up concert at 9 PM Eastern, After Party with Vance Gilbert and Cynthia Carle right after
Well, here's a modern problem -- I had a concet on my schedule for Saturday night -- assumed it was a virtual zoom concert only to discover it was booked months ago, was a live concert, and was canceled months ago. So I said to the promoter, "Don't you do virtual concerts?" and they said "No, we never have," so I said, "Well let's do one!" and then they said OK (all this happened on Thursday).
So then I asked Vance Gilbert if he'd be a guest in the After Party and he said yes. So then I asked Cynthia Carle, one of the best kept secrets in songwriting in LA and she said YES. Vance and Cynthia have never met. So we'll do a song swap til 11 PM. It's all free and will be a lot of fun and now The Sounding Board in West Hartford, CT can say they've jumped into the world of virtual concerts with both feet. Plus I have a brand new microphone and mixer, so I'm upping my tech game, too.
If you don't know Vance Gilbert, someone said, "If Joni Mitchell and Richie Havens had a love child, and Rodney Dangerfield was the midwife, Vance Gilbert would be the result."
And if you don't know Cynthia Carle, when I first heard her music I thought, "Thank God I'm beyond the age of envy!" She's as wry and clever as they come.
I'll be doing songs from my very first album (1981) and my latest album (2020) and maybe throw in a napkin folding lesson in between to get you ready for Thanksgiving.
We all need a break -- come take one tonight! BYOB.
CHRISTINE LAVIN SOLO FROM 9-10:10 PM EASTERN
AFTER PARTY WITH CHRIS AND THE IRREPRESSIBLE VANCE GILBERT AND IRREVERENT AND SLY CYNTHIA CARLE --
The Sounding Board presents Christine Lavin with Vance Gilbert and Cynthia Carle in the After Party
Time: Nov 21, 2020 09:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Meeting ID: 856 7794 7209
Please do not post the Zoom coordinates in public. The Zoom audience is by invitation only, and we don't want any zoom bomb attacks. If you are in the Zoom audience we hope you will turn your camera on so we can see your shining face. YouTube and FB can't see you, but the performers will.
Also let me know if you have a request and/or dedication. Already one audience member is celebrating her birthday AND her and her husband's wedding anniversary -- so it will be a real party, especially if you pop champagne during the show.
- We didn't know what songs we'd hear, and looking back on this, it's wonderful -- I list who plays when so you can skip to your favorites
- My live Hurdy Gurdy concert has been moved from indoors to online -- I'm joined by a dozen singer/songwriters each doing 2 songs -- from 7 PM to 10 PM Eastern
- It begins with a funny song for our times, "Stress" by Jim Infantino, ends with Kate Taylor's lovely, "I've Got A Message"
- A strong lineup for top to bottom -- the incomparable Jim Infantino opens, Kate closes, and an embarrassment of riches in between
- Columnist Jennifer Finney Boylan was inspired by the song to write about her best summer -- what was yours?
- The PFF asked me to help MC, and to do a 15-20 min minute set, which is the exact length of this one song, which is based on something that really happened
- Starting with Brooks Williams in Cambridge, UK --- closing with B&B in the US -- next month Bob Lind is headliner (yes, The Elusive Butterfly Of Love guy)
- Wonderful food (dining room opens at 5:30) -- spectacular desserts -- LIVE entertainment -- Tickets $25 in advance, $30 at the door.
- Believe it or not, when I wrote this song inspired by the 2009 Scripps Spelling Bee, I SPELT TWO WORDS WRONG! Finally I've made up for it.
- Jimmy Webb wrote the perfect song for the launch back in 1978, and here Michael Feinstein sings it.
- Have a favorite in the show? Here's when each performs so you can zip right to them --
- and ends 3 hours later with John McCutcheon live from the States -- watch it LIVE and FREE on FB and YouTube, or listen to audio on folkmusicnotebook.com