Red Grammer & Kenny White are the soundtrack for my brother Christopher's wonderful project in Geneva
Since March 23rd, the day the schools shut down, my brother Christopher, who is executive director of The Boys & Girls Club of Geneva, has spear-headed a project that has delivered more than 12,000 hot meals to hungry kids within a 10 mile radius of Geneva, NY. When I saw pictures of what they are doing, I asked if I could make a video for them -- over the past 10 days we've been emailing and texting back and forth dozens of times -- it's just gone live and I couldn't be more proud of my brother and the people he's inspired to work alongside him.
I've been a fan of Red Grammer's since last century, back before he became the best children's performer in the US (he had replaced Glenn Yarbrough of "The Limeliters" -- yes, Red has PIPES for days). And a couple years ago I was asked to judge submissions for showcases at a music conference -- it was blind judging -- and one musician in particular I gave a perfect score to turned out to be Kenny White, who plays piano on this track. All these years I thought Red played on it, but I would be wrong!
The only reason why this song hasn't become a certified platinum hit is that you have to have one of the great voices in the world to do it justice. Red has one of those voices. Maybe using it here will finally get it the attention it deserves. How lucky are we that Red immediately said yes when I asked if I could use his song like this. Not only is he a great performer for children, he's an advocate for kids, too, and wanted to help. Thanks so much, Red.
Enjoy this beautiful song as it accompanies the good works of the people in Geneva who are looking out for their neighbors.
Geneva Food Project Gets A New Sound Track
- Wonderful food (dining room opens at 5:30) -- spectacular desserts -- LIVE entertainment -- Tickets $25 in advance, $30 at the door.
- Believe it or not, when I wrote this song inspired by the 2009 Scripps Spelling Bee, I SPELT TWO WORDS WRONG! Finally I've made up for it.
- Jimmy Webb wrote the perfect song for the launch back in 1978, and here Michael Feinstein sings it.
- Have a favorite in the show? Here's when each performs so you can zip right to them --
- and ends 3 hours later with John McCutcheon live from the States -- watch it LIVE and FREE on FB and YouTube, or listen to audio on folkmusicnotebook.com
- The true story of my sister Mary's pet albino guinea pig "Piglet" and the day Joe Namath asked if he could pet him
- Sunday, June 13, 2021
- That's what I get for working in the middle of the night when I should have been sleeping! And there's a glitch at the 'store' that will be fixed by Monday
- Stories about radio host Bob Sherman, Pete Seeger, Dave Van Ronk, George Wurzbach, Livingston Taylor, Garry Novikoff, and Laura Weber
- Buy 2 or more CDs and get brand new FREE compilation with new songs and recordings by Sloan Wainwright, Amy Speace, Rob Siegel, me, and others
- I'm not MC-ing this time, I'm in the show -- MCs are Ron Olesko and Sonny Ochs
- New song/video: "The Best Summer" by Christine Lavin