First leg of 26 city group tour starts November 7 at the Tarrytown Music Hall
Amazingly, it's the 25th anniversary tour of the compilation album, "On A Winter's Night," that started out life in 1989 as a 21-artist cassette I put together, inspired by Jack Hardy's "Fast Folk Musical Magazine." In 1990 it was edited down to 15 songs and released by North Star Records (who went out of business a couple years later). Then in 1994 Rounder Records picked it up as a 15 artist CD, but then in 2004 they wanted to do a special "20th anniversary edition" and add a few more tracks (Judy Collins, Dave Van Ronk, Annie Bauerlein & Chip Mergott, Lynn Miles, and Cliff Eberhardt (who wasn't on the original version -- but should have been). So now it's a 20 artist CD.
And now -- 25 years after Rounder first put it out -- we are doing a national tour to celebrate this milestone.
There are dates up through March 2020 (yeah, not exactly winter then) but what the heck. My original idea was that it was makeout music, and makeout music is good any time of year. If you look at the photo above you'll see I'm not kidding about that.
And last night I received some of the nicest ink I have ever gotten in my life. The author is a young journalist in Rochester, NY and he is hoping he'll get a lot of "likes" for it -- so I ask that you read it -- not to read about me -- but to help this young writer achieve his goals in music journalism. I really think he did a good job -- he included a funny anecdote about my mother that always cracks me up when I think about it.
The tour is turning out to be quite a success already -- the March 13 show in Boston only has 30 tickets left in the center section of the theater -- so if this combination of singer/songwriters interests you, don't wait til the last minute.
Happy Halloween! I'll be spending it on an Amtrak train, wearing my "human wind farm" headband. Ah, good times, good times.
- I wrote a song about him on my last album, "First Dance/Last Dance"
- "Trade Up"
- Two surprise guests from Rochester, NY, one from Key West Florida at 7:30 show -- then After Party til 9:30
- Saturday night at 7:30 PM Eastern solo concert for Golden Link of Rochester; 8:45 After Party with my friends Kat Goldman & David Ippolito
- Dar Williams is now part of the Congressional Record -- her quote starts five seconds in
- Will have a special 6 song tribute to Dave Van Ronk for a very special reason
- I sent my Click & Grow farm FB post to the company and they responded by offering a 15% discount to any friends of mine
- "Painting Resilience: The Life & Art of Fred Terna" by Julia Mayer -- the most important project I have ever worked on
- Alice Howe is a spectacular singer, Freebo a brilliant bassist - I'm their guest on Wednesday at 8 PM Eastern - plus an "After Party" with a surprise guest
- The best new song of 2021 has already been written, "Because We Need You Now" by Cliff Eberhardt & Tom Prasada-Rao
- One last video -- thank you all who sent photos for it -- Happy New Year --
- Thank you all who came to our concert -- one final video -- thanks to all who sent photos for it - "Sealed With A Kiss"