After staying up all night working on this, the songwriter asked me not to post it -- but then he changed his mind
When I heard his song, "Between Heaven And The Ground" I instantly loved this song and went about putting a video together for it. I worked from 5 PM to 5 AM and sent it off to the songwriter, who I didn't know. We both have songs on the annual "Longest Night Of The Year" holiday compilation, but had never heard of him before this.
The first line of his song is, "Eight days shy of Christmas 1903 . . . " but that's the last mention of Christmas in his song. It's about something that happened in 1903 that you all know about, even if that clue doesn't ring a bell.
So I sent this video off to him only to my chagrin to get his response: "Please don't post it. I'm working on an EP to release in the spring, this might be the title track, and I'm already working with a videographer on it."
But then he changed his mind -- I told him I had wanted to post it to the folk DJs who receive "Longest Night" so they wouldn't miss his song (it's next to last on track 2), also wanted to post to you, my weblist, and to Facebook. After thinking it over he said it was OK to post to the Folk DJs, and to you, but he asks that you not share it, since when the album comes out his official video will be very different from this.
"Between Heaven And The Ground" by Mike P. Ryan
p.s. "The Longest Night Of The Year" isn't sold, only sent to the Folk DJs and given to the artists. I have 25 copies and this weekend they will be free with a purchase at the "On A Winter's Night" concerts in Collingswood, NJ and West Long Branch, NJ -- in case you'll be there!
- Your chance to be part of music history -- Kate Taylor and Peter Asher in the studio 50 years after "Sister Kate"
- 8 PM concert, followed by 9:15 song swap with Robin Batteau, Shanna In A Dress, and Jane Godfrey
- Am selling my CDs myself - want 'em autographed? Just ask! I'm the president, messenger, receptionist, and bookkeeper of my record company.
- Robin Batteau and me from 4-5:15 Eastern; at 5:30 Robin & I co-host Hillary Rollins' annual House Party open mic - both free -- many confirmed performers already -- a one night songwriters' festival
- What better way to prepare for the debate? Will be showing 4BB vids and Robin Batteau's brand new one, too - LIVE!
- Robin was live at the Greenwich Village Folk Festival; friends watching him joined him -- what a result --
- The other three performers are Reggie Harris, Siobhan O'Brien, and Marc Douglas Berardo
- Going to the P.O. on Monday at 4 PM to mail out 25 that are going out free with purchase of my new album -- last chance for swag --
- Meet Don White, Megon McDonough, Elizabeth Mosier, Peg Espinola, and Janet Feld -- all doing what they do best
- Celebrating the release of my brand new album, 'ON MY WAY TO HOOTERVILLE' followed by Song-Swap with Surprise Guests on Friday night
- Sing and/or play along with Robin Batteau around 9 PM when he does his classic, "Guinevere" - let me know if you want the sheet music
- Believe me, this is so good, it's worth the asylum I am now living in to send it to you -- Alice Howe's version of "A Case Of You" is worth it alone!