The average chapter is 10-1/2 minutes; you can watch/read along, or just listen in the dark
Many years ago I read about Joanne Woodward's obsession with this book, how she re-read it every year, and her dream was to turn it into a film. I contacted her back then because I had an idea for her film, and I ended up writing a song about the book and her passion for it. My song is spoiler-free, so if this intrigues you at all, you can watch this video to help you decide if you'd like to read this book for yourself, or listen to me read it:
"The Song Of Lucy Gayheart" by Christine Lavin
Joanne Woodward is retired now, so she will never make this film, but I'm still hoping a filmmaker out there will turn her dream into a reality.
At the beginning of the pandemic I started reading the book, one chapter a night, and I got better at it as the project progressed. I even started adding music to it (it's the story of Lucy Gayheart, a 21-year-old rehearsal pianist for an opera singer, Clement Sebastian). He is a baritone, and Willa Cather sure knew her opera, so when I could find recordings of the songs Clement sang, I included them -- some are instrumentals, some are choral pieces -- so this became more than just a straight reading of Willa Cather's book.
If you're looking for something you can enjoy on headphones, or listening to every night as a bedtime story, I think you'll dig this book. It begins during the Christmas holidays of 1901, so the timing is just right.
LUCY GAYHEART READ ALOUD by Christine Lavin
approximately 6-1/2 hours — 36 chapters —
average chapter is 10-1/2 minutes
Chapter 1 and 2 of “Lucy Gayheart” 15-1/2 minutes
Chapter 3 "Lucy Gayheart” 20-1/2 minutes
Chapter 4: https://vimeo.com/403551305 (w/music) 19:37
Chapter 5/6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kUsD1WDqfM 13:39
Chapter 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0CcfYeLYSA 15:27
Chapter 8/9 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfXuJCheio0&feature=youtu.be 16:58
Chapter 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCAyL4Btb5s&feature=youtu.be 13:03
Chapter 11 of Willa Cather’s novella “Lucy Gayheart”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H61u_rTXLes&feature=youtu.be 23:05
Chapters 12 & 13 of Willa Cather’s “Lucy Gayheart”
Chapter 14, 15, 16 - 30 minutes
Chapter 17: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tteGtiACV0 13:45
Chapter 18 aloud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A4pTy4_ifY 13:00
Chap 19, 20, 21: 17-1/2 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTBCEDdTFyw&feature=youtu.be
BOOK 2, CHAPTER 1:
BOOK 2, CHAPTER 2:
Book 2 Chapter 3&4
Lucy Gayheart Book 2, Chapters 5, 6, 7
Lucy Gayheart Book 2 Chapters 8 & 9
Book 2 Chapters 10 and 11
Run-up to final 4 chapters of LG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db4_URyUiu8&feature=youtu.be. 7:25
Book 3, Chapters 1 and 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U62UQBJcEU&feature=youtu.be. 14:47
Lucy G Book 3 Chapter Book 3, Chapter 3 of “Lucy Gayheart” 19:53
Lucy Gayheart ending Book 3, Chapter 4 of “Lucy Gayheart”18:55
TOTAL: 391.25 min = approximately 6 hours and 30 minutes
- I wrote a song about him on my last album, "First Dance/Last Dance"
- "Trade Up"
- Two surprise guests from Rochester, NY, one from Key West Florida at 7:30 show -- then After Party til 9:30
- Saturday night at 7:30 PM Eastern solo concert for Golden Link of Rochester; 8:45 After Party with my friends Kat Goldman & David Ippolito
- Dar Williams is now part of the Congressional Record -- her quote starts five seconds in
- Will have a special 6 song tribute to Dave Van Ronk for a very special reason
- I sent my Click & Grow farm FB post to the company and they responded by offering a 15% discount to any friends of mine
- "Painting Resilience: The Life & Art of Fred Terna" by Julia Mayer -- the most important project I have ever worked on
- Alice Howe is a spectacular singer, Freebo a brilliant bassist - I'm their guest on Wednesday at 8 PM Eastern - plus an "After Party" with a surprise guest
- The best new song of 2021 has already been written, "Because We Need You Now" by Cliff Eberhardt & Tom Prasada-Rao
- One last video -- thank you all who sent photos for it -- Happy New Year --
- Thank you all who came to our concert -- one final video -- thanks to all who sent photos for it - "Sealed With A Kiss"