The average chapter is 10-1/2 minutes; you can watch/read along, or just listen in the dark
Many years ago I read about Joanne Woodward's obsession with this book, how she re-read it every year, and her dream was to turn it into a film. I contacted her back then because I had an idea for her film, and I ended up writing a song about the book and her passion for it. My song is spoiler-free, so if this intrigues you at all, you can watch this video to help you decide if you'd like to read this book for yourself, or listen to me read it:
"The Song Of Lucy Gayheart" by Christine Lavin
Joanne Woodward is retired now, so she will never make this film, but I'm still hoping a filmmaker out there will turn her dream into a reality.
At the beginning of the pandemic I started reading the book, one chapter a night, and I got better at it as the project progressed. I even started adding music to it (it's the story of Lucy Gayheart, a 21-year-old rehearsal pianist for an opera singer, Clement Sebastian). He is a baritone, and Willa Cather sure knew her opera, so when I could find recordings of the songs Clement sang, I included them -- some are instrumentals, some are choral pieces -- so this became more than just a straight reading of Willa Cather's book.
If you're looking for something you can enjoy on headphones, or listening to every night as a bedtime story, I think you'll dig this book. It begins during the Christmas holidays of 1901, so the timing is just right.
LUCY GAYHEART READ ALOUD by Christine Lavin
approximately 6-1/2 hours — 36 chapters —
average chapter is 10-1/2 minutes
Chapter 1 and 2 of “Lucy Gayheart” 15-1/2 minutes
Chapter 3 "Lucy Gayheart” 20-1/2 minutes
Chapter 4: https://vimeo.com/403551305 (w/music) 19:37
Chapter 5/6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kUsD1WDqfM 13:39
Chapter 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0CcfYeLYSA 15:27
Chapter 8/9 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfXuJCheio0&feature=youtu.be 16:58
Chapter 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCAyL4Btb5s&feature=youtu.be 13:03
Chapter 11 of Willa Cather’s novella “Lucy Gayheart”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H61u_rTXLes&feature=youtu.be 23:05
Chapters 12 & 13 of Willa Cather’s “Lucy Gayheart”
Chapter 14, 15, 16 - 30 minutes
Chapter 17: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tteGtiACV0 13:45
Chapter 18 aloud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A4pTy4_ifY 13:00
Chap 19, 20, 21: 17-1/2 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTBCEDdTFyw&feature=youtu.be
BOOK 2, CHAPTER 1:
BOOK 2, CHAPTER 2:
Book 2 Chapter 3&4
Lucy Gayheart Book 2, Chapters 5, 6, 7
Lucy Gayheart Book 2 Chapters 8 & 9
Book 2 Chapters 10 and 11
Run-up to final 4 chapters of LG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db4_URyUiu8&feature=youtu.be. 7:25
Book 3, Chapters 1 and 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U62UQBJcEU&feature=youtu.be. 14:47
Lucy G Book 3 Chapter Book 3, Chapter 3 of “Lucy Gayheart” 19:53
Lucy Gayheart ending Book 3, Chapter 4 of “Lucy Gayheart”18:55
TOTAL: 391.25 min = approximately 6 hours and 30 minutes
- Wonderful food (dining room opens at 5:30) -- spectacular desserts -- LIVE entertainment -- Tickets $25 in advance, $30 at the door.
- Believe it or not, when I wrote this song inspired by the 2009 Scripps Spelling Bee, I SPELT TWO WORDS WRONG! Finally I've made up for it.
- Jimmy Webb wrote the perfect song for the launch back in 1978, and here Michael Feinstein sings it.
- Have a favorite in the show? Here's when each performs so you can zip right to them --
- and ends 3 hours later with John McCutcheon live from the States -- watch it LIVE and FREE on FB and YouTube, or listen to audio on folkmusicnotebook.com
- The true story of my sister Mary's pet albino guinea pig "Piglet" and the day Joe Namath asked if he could pet him
- Sunday, June 13, 2021
- That's what I get for working in the middle of the night when I should have been sleeping! And there's a glitch at the 'store' that will be fixed by Monday
- Stories about radio host Bob Sherman, Pete Seeger, Dave Van Ronk, George Wurzbach, Livingston Taylor, Garry Novikoff, and Laura Weber
- Buy 2 or more CDs and get brand new FREE compilation with new songs and recordings by Sloan Wainwright, Amy Speace, Rob Siegel, me, and others
- I'm not MC-ing this time, I'm in the show -- MCs are Ron Olesko and Sonny Ochs
- New song/video: "The Best Summer" by Christine Lavin