First leg of 26 city group tour starts November 7 at the Tarrytown Music Hall
Amazingly, it's the 25th anniversary tour of the compilation album, "On A Winter's Night," that started out life in 1989 as a 21-artist cassette I put together, inspired by Jack Hardy's "Fast Folk Musical Magazine." In 1990 it was edited down to 15 songs and released by North Star Records (who went out of business a couple years later). Then in 1994 Rounder Records picked it up as a 15 artist CD, but then in 2004 they wanted to do a special "20th anniversary edition" and add a few more tracks (Judy Collins, Dave Van Ronk, Annie Bauerlein & Chip Mergott, Lynn Miles, and Cliff Eberhardt (who wasn't on the original version -- but should have been). So now it's a 20 artist CD.
And now -- 25 years after Rounder first put it out -- we are doing a national tour to celebrate this milestone.
There are dates up through March 2020 (yeah, not exactly winter then) but what the heck. My original idea was that it was makeout music, and makeout music is good any time of year. If you look at the photo above you'll see I'm not kidding about that.
And last night I received some of the nicest ink I have ever gotten in my life. The author is a young journalist in Rochester, NY and he is hoping he'll get a lot of "likes" for it -- so I ask that you read it -- not to read about me -- but to help this young writer achieve his goals in music journalism. I really think he did a good job -- he included a funny anecdote about my mother that always cracks me up when I think about it.
The tour is turning out to be quite a success already -- the March 13 show in Boston only has 30 tickets left in the center section of the theater -- so if this combination of singer/songwriters interests you, don't wait til the last minute.
Happy Halloween! I'll be spending it on an Amtrak train, wearing my "human wind farm" headband. Ah, good times, good times.
- Watching this might be THE most important hour of your year -- he is on the front lines, he knows how to stay safe
- If you have a sewing machine, cotton fabric, and a desire to help, the medical world needs what you can do
- Sign up now, take the brief tour, and get ready for the world debut of "Everybody Must Stay Home" as part of today's concert
- JULIE DOESN'T JUST WRITE GREAT SONGS, SHE'S GOT MANY, MANY STORIES UP HER SLEEVE -- WE MADE A VIDEO FOR ONE OF THEM
- . . AND, AS THE SONG IMPLIES . . . A TORCH THAT WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE LIT . . . WEEP ALONG W/ME
- Concert canceled so I spent the day making a video: "Cold Pizza For Breakfast"
- I just completed the video for "Bring Back The Bow," which I hope will help stop spreading germs
- Look up on Thursday Feb 27th to watch Venus kiss the moon. Again.
- "On A Winter's Night" with Eberhardt, Gorka, Larkin, Lavin, and Wheeler - March 5-28 UPDATE
- The Last Hurrah -- join John Gorka, Cheryl Wheeler, Patty Larkin, Cliff Eberhardt, and me -- 14 more concerts and that's it!
- We must have emailed back and forth 100 times last night, finished the video in the wee hours, and here it is in BroadwayWorld!
- Michael Moricz, Mr. Rogers' musical director, wrote this -- I made the video -- we stayed up all night -- over 1,000 views so far -- a song for the dawning of 2020