JUST ONE ANGEL
JULIE GOLD #13 "Merry Christmas Peace Peace Peace"
Julie Gold "Merry Christmas Peace Peace Peace"
Julie Gold is a New York Songwriter best known for Bette Midler’s version of her song FROM A DISTANCE which won the Grammy for Song of the Year in 1991.That song has since received close to four million airplays:
• It has been recited into the Congressional Record (by Senator Barbara Boxer).
• It has been recorded internationally and translated into many languages.
• It has been illustrated as a Children’s Book and mass- produced in Music Boxes.
• It has been quoted in books, calendars and greeting cards.
• It was used as the wake-up call for astronauts in the Mir Space Station the very first time the Americans hooked up with the Russians in outer space.
A wide range of recording artists have covered it, singers from Jewel to Cliff Richard to The African Children’s Choir to Judy Collins to The Byrds to Donna Summer--just to name a few.
Nanci Griffith, the first to record FROM A DISTANCE, has also covered Gold’s songs HEAVEN, SOUTHBOUND TRAIN, GOOD NIGHT NEW YORK, and MOUNTAIN OF SORROW. Other artists who have covered Julie Gold songs include Patti LaBelle, Patti LuPone, Lea Salonga and Andrea Marcovicci. Gold’s Emmy Nominated lyric WE’RE 4 NEW YORK is currently running on the local NBC affiliate. Her song THANKS TO YOU was featured in the motion picture ANDRE, and her song DREAM LOUD was featured in the motion picture UNFAITHFUL, starring Richard Gere.
DREAM LOUD is also a favorite song of The Girl Scouts of America. Gold delights in the fact that she was paid in Girl Scout cookies for that transaction.
"Merry Christmas Peace Peace Peace"
My worst Hanukah memory: I overheard I was getting a Thesaurus. For some unexplainable reason, I thought a Thesaurus was a "Surrey With The Fringe On Top.”
Do not ask me why I thought that, but I did.
Imagine my shock and HORROR when it was a BOOK?????
Second worst Hanukah present? Snow tires.
Take your pick.